Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Reading Started

Non-fiction
Imagine by Jonah Lehrer (AWESOME BOOK - There is so much about creativity in this book!)

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen (Very good for old people like me)

The Evolution of God by Robert Wright (Interesting, if a little long-winded)

Marshall: Lessons in Leadership by H. Paul Jeffers with Alan Axelrod (Simple and fast reading)

Bradley by Alan Axelrod (Fast reading and too simple)

Betcha Didn't Know by Brian Liles (I wish I had thought of this! Very addicting.)

The Story of English in 100 Words by David Crystal (Could have been better - Some good info that I already knew- I highlighted info I could use if I teach the history of English again or etymology)

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abby by 8th Countess of Carnarvon (At first, I was disappointed, but when World War I and the opening of King Tut's tomb are described, it gets very interesting)

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg (Very good - some really useful and interesting stuff)

The Daily Five by The Sisters  (There is some interesting things in this book. I will implement this program in my classroom this year as per our school district directive)

The Daily Cafe by The Sisters (I like this book better than The Daily Five because I have taught guided reading on a somewhat individual basis, worked with students on strategy goals, and I have kept similar {although simpler} records of students' current reading status)

Hitlerland by Andrew Nagorski (At first, you think why would anyone be interested in another book about Hitler. However, this book is fascinating because it shows how people can underestimate the power of a demagogue and how many Americans and Germans thought Hitler would never amount to much)


Fiction
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (Didn't realize at first that this was the same author who did Pride and Prejudice with Zombies!)

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel (VERY GOOD BOOK - I tried reading her first book about Thomas Cromwell's early life, Wolf Hall, but I didn't really enjoy it. Now that I have enjoyed the better written book first, I will go back and try Wolf Hall again)

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (After finishing Bring Up the Bodies, this book was much better. I hope the author is planning to write a third book about Thomas Cromwell)

No comments:

Post a Comment